Wednesday, November 08, 2006

My last week at home - Wednesday

Today I decided to make the very most of my last full day at home and have found myself doing sod all.

I’ve managed to comply with the steadily drying trickle of work requests as they come in, but beyond that, I’ve done pretty much nowt.

Now, as I wind myself up to go out and get a haircut I’m left with a rather disappointed feeling, is doing nothing making the most of it?

In all the time I’ve been working from home I’ve managed many wonderful feats, feats unavailable to the office worker.

I’ve started at 6:30 in the morning and taken an extra hour and a half at lunchtime for a bit of a shop, an opportunity that will be sorely missed this Christmas.

I’ve worked a full day in just my dressing gown, which is not as cool as you might think; you just can’t get your brain in gear.

I’ve even worked a very hung-over morning in bed, there wasn’t such a problem getting the brain into gear that time, it only seemed to have neutral, and someone had lost the keys.

I’ve made a wooden table and an apple pie. I’ve finished books and computer games. I’ve made £70 on eBay and spent £25 of the profits on a second hand Playstation steering wheel (rubbish by the way) and all within the acceptable margins of “break time” over the working day.

So where does looking at stuff on the Internet and attempting the world’s first suicide by tea (200.62 cups in a day according to http://www.energyfiend.com/death-by-caffeine/) fit in?

There’s obviously a certain amount of stuff looking and tea drinking/making that fall within the bounds of your regular working day, perhaps an hour in total.

Well, I can assure you my daily “slack hour” was easily covered as a matter of course with an online sudoku here and a round up of the new music and films there.

This then begs the question what have I done with the other 4 so far today? I think I can chalk up half of one to work, God help me, meaning I’ve spent 3 and a half hours staring at the sky. It’s not even a very nice sky.

I am astonished really, I didn’t think I had the capacity to manage that long doing nothing, which brings me back to my first point, have I really made the most of it?

Clearly not in comparison with my more dynamic days, however I can think of nothing I’d like less than standing in the cold, getting increasingly frustrated with the vast gulf between my woodwork skills and my overblown self-confidence.

Finally all my navel-gazing has led me to a conclusion. I have come to believe that making the most of something is to accept the nature of that thing, immerse yourself in it and do it to the best of your abilities.

Taking this board I think the best thing for me to do is grab this “sod all” by the horns, sit back and enjoy the ride, wherever it stays.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home